Sunday 12 January 2014

A brief pause and a lack of chocolate

The number of books I should be reading instead of writing is impressive. A visual may help to demonstrate the extent of my procrastination, to whit:

There is a theme. Unfortunately the theme is "Bloody complicated"
But things are slowly coming together, and I have another 5.5 hours before they finally throw me from the building, so all in all not too bad. Aside from the fact that the vending machines are empty. I suspect that's going to become more of a problem as the night wears on, especially knowing that my last chance saloon of cocoa-based goodness closes at midnight. Can my resolve beat my craving for a dark chocolate KitKat?

(probably not)

Since the last time I blogged there has been rather a strange conversation with The Woman, the details of which are complex even in my mind but seem to be paradoxical to say the very least. I shall have to bend my mind to the subject, which actually provides rather a pleasant break from the dissertation.

That needs more emphasis.

The Dissertation

To which the majority of the books in the picture above are dedicated. However, the whole thing's hit a bit of a snag - I opened a book I rather hoped would be one of my core texts and read "research on sexism in language is rare in English and even rarer in French." which has really put a dampener on my whole mood. On the other hand, a friend of mine who's also likely going to spend all night here has expressed jealousy in my chosen topic while two others, one all the way in St Andrews, have told me that it's terribly exciting to be at the forefront of human knowledge (admittedly in a very small area of human knowledge, but still) and I should quit moaning and get writing. 

And since I've finished my soup and that seems like a fitting end, I shall do as advised.


Postscript: The reason I never seem to have any time free is becoming clearer to me, after I spent twenty minutes pondering whether or not I should go to work like this:

Can you believe I've ever had a partner? I can't sometimes.
I am not a smart man.

No comments:

Post a Comment